Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm thankful for discipline.

Hmmmmm..... that can be very hard for many of us to say.  It can really sound crazy, but I'm thankful for it.  There was definitely a time in my life when I would have NEVER said I was thankful for discipline.  For today, I can say that confidently I am thankful for God's discipline He allows in my life.

There was a time when I would react like an Israelite and want to go back to my slavery in Egypt.  Sometimes the growing pains are so hard I just want to live in the past, in my time of ignorance. It feels like I'll be wandering in the desert forever.  I have to remind myself that God is leading me to my promise land.  He is a god who keeps His promises.

Genesis 28:15 "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land.  I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

Exodus 3:17 "And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites-a land flowing with milk and honey."

I am currently studying about Jonah.  As this study first began I remember thinking, why on earth do I need to do this right now.  I know even if this is all I walk away with is the discipline area, it will have been worth it. Although I'm sure I'll get much more from it.

The author of my study got me to think about a time of discipline in my life.  I began to first think of my own children and how I discipline them and why I discipline.  It's because I love them and don't want them to grow up to be hellions.  Ha!  Then I thought about God, how and why He disciplines me. What an awaking moment in my heart!  He disciplines me because He love me....and doesn't want me to go to hell.  He desires for me to grow closer to Him and learn His ways and what He wants my life to be for Him. The only way for me to learn all that is through discipline, which involves pain sometimes.  I can promise from that pain, God heals and grows me closer to Him.

Hebrews 12:5-6 "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastens everyone He accepts as his son."

That is why I can say today I'm thankful for discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment