Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thankful Thursday...for oil changes.

Oil changes make me smile!

I get my oil changed every 3000 miles, okay so sometimes its more like 4000 or even 5000.  Eek!  There is one particular place that I go to get that "to-do check list" item done and as soon as I walk through the door the smell makes me smile! I'm sure those guys in there have identified me as the super smiley crazy mini-van mom is here. :)

That smell of car oil and grease reminds me of my daddy.

He was a hard working mechanic and I can still clearly picture him when I close my eyes.  What he looked like and smelled like every day he would come home from work.  His hands dirty with grease stains, the navy blue work pants he would wear with a different colored t-shirt and black steel toe boots, his shaggy dirty blonde hair, and a smirk of a smile, all would smell of auto shop grease. At the time he was just down right stinky to me, but now that smell makes me smile.

My father passed away February 1, 1995 of leukemia.  I am at a point in which I have been without him more years of my life then I had with him.  That is a heart breaking thought for me. But I am so thankful for the time I did have with him, no matter how short it seemed in my eyes.

I cling to this verse when my heart is breaking from the loss of my earthly father. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Matthew 5:4  God's word is truth! If He says those that mourn will be comforted, I can hold on to that truth and take comfort in knowing that it will happen. 

Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection."

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth."

Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

What do we do while we are waiting for God's comfort to arrive?

Habakkuk 3:17-18 "Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation."

We rejoice and give Him the praise He desires! In my obedience to that command, I find my comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment