Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thankful Thursday... daily bread.

A reoccurring theme in my life I have recently been seeing is the concept of daily bread from God.

That theme has crossed my path in different ways. It has come through different preachers, different studies, and different words.  Daily quiet time, give us this day our daily bread, manna for each day, step-by-step, lighting one step at a time, for today are just a few,  but they all have the same meaning for me.

If I think back to the beginning of when I saw this theme starting, it was a long time ago.  Man I must be a slow learner.  The first time I noticed it was with encouragement on having a daily study time or some say quite time with the Lord.  I heard it from my pastor, my Sunday school teacher,  my friends and of course my momma.  I felt like it was everywhere and something everyone had but me.

I was unsure of what daily time with the Lord was or what it was even suppose to look like.  I am a visual learner and wanted to so bad be a fly on the wall of a friends quiet time to see what this would actually look like then adapt it to my personal life.  I needed some bones, structure or frame work, if you will, to start with.  When asking people about their personal time with God, I would get the response, "well God speaks to us all in different ways" or "we just have to be quiet and listen for Him," "how he speaks to one he might not speak that way to another." I truly understood those statements but they didn't help with what my time with God would or should look like. What I did learn is that the season of your life can also determine what your walk will look like or how much you are even able to take in from God.

When my desire for a quiet time started, I was up to my neck in dirty diapers, dirty laundry, dirty dishes, dirty house, dirty everything.  I was exhausted, mentally and physically.  Taking care of 3 little toddlers and a traveling husband left little energy, time or desire to invest in someone else or something else for me to have to do.  I didn't have the time or patience to "sit quietly and wait."  That was like telling me to make an appointment with a doctor to get my toe nails pulled off, ain't gonna happen!

I did know that there was something powerful to getting my daily bread from God.  I also knew He knew what I was enduring at the moment and God would honor my efforts during this season. I started with 5 minutes then grew to 10, 15, 30, 45, then an hour or two; which was over the process of YEARS I tell ya!

What I have experienced with my relationship with God really is just like the advise I received above because "The Lord YOUR God" is personal to you. (Exodus 20:2)

I encourage you to just take that first step to spend time with God and receive His daily bread for you.   The more and more you are with Him, I promise, the more and more He will reveal Himself to you in ways that is personal to only you. It will bring a smile to your face to see Him working in your life and working so personal to you because He knows us better then we know ourselves.  How can I say that?  Well He did create every nook and cranny of our personalities, bodies, minds, everything.  "I am the good shepherd.  I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep." John 10:14-15

No matter what journey you are on and path God has you walking right now, keep in mind He gives us daily bread, manna only for the day and a step by step plan.  It's there waiting for you to take it.  I know about the times when we want the whole picture or idea or want to know the will for our lives right now but keep this in mind,  "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." John 16:12

Priscilla Shirer said "He (God) doesn't withhold information because He doesn't love you but because of His great love for you." Isn't that an amazing statement! Just take a minute and let that sink in cause yes, it's that powerful.

I leave you with encouragement to receive your daily bread from God.  He will give you just what you need for that day, no more no less.  Don't be afraid to ask Him, "Show me Lord my daily bread for today.  What do you want me to learn about You today Oh Lord? Reveal yourself to me today personally."

"The unfolding of your words gives light;  it imparts understanding to the simple."  (Psalm 119:130)

No comments:

Post a Comment