Tuesday, December 31, 2013

iPad Holder

I have wanted an iPad display for my kitchen area for quite a while now.  I do not like it sitting on the counter top as I cook using it to get a recipe.  It feels like any second I will make a mess and it will spread all over the iPad.  So I found this and tweaked it to my liking!


It turned out pretty awesome I think!  It was easy to make also so that is an additional plus! Home Depot did all the hard work for me!

Here is what you will need to make your own:


You will have to buy a full 1x12 and 1x2 whitewood.  Ask Home Depot to cut each board 10".

Then I went to the trim section for the last piece.  You could use any style you like.  These will be sold by the foot, not by the board like other pieces.  Home Depot will cut that as well for you.

Then I sanded all the edges of my pieces and added the stain color.


Let it dry completely.


Use Gorilla glue to put your pieces together.  Using a clamp is very helpful to keep pieces together till glue is dry.


You could leave as is or distress from this moment a bit or do like I did and add a layer of color then distress.


I also added a chalk message center so when my iPad isn't on the display I can leave a sweet message to my hubby or kids!  Tape off area and spray on chalk paint.  Allow to dry then add second coat.


Remove tape and you are ready to roll!


Leaving the ends open allows you to turn iPad as needed! You can also see the trim piece style a little better in the pic below.




Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! How do you give it the "distressed look"?
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. By sanding! I've got extra wood pieces if you want one, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have to paint a different color before sanding?

      Delete
  3. Do you paint before you sand? It looks like you painted it red, but I guess that would be the distressed look. I would love to try this but I'm a little nervous about messing up ;-)
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete