Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Carrying something you aren't suppose to?!

A couple of Sundays ago, our Sunday School class got together at a park to play and have a picnic.  I was chatting with a friend when her daughter came up saying she was ready to go.  The young girl was scared because we were outside playing and storms clouds began rolling in.  This girl is terrified of thunderstorms. She was ready to pack up and leave just at the sight of the dark sky.  We heard no rumble and felt no rain, just dark clouds coming. Her mother reassured her by saying, "We will be leaving soon go play little longer till I say time to go."  The daughter began to worry about the fact that the family would have all their picnic stuff to load up before they would be able to get in the car. Her mother responded with, "I will handle all that, you don't need to worry about it.  I'll hand you the keys and you can run straight to the car and wait for the rest of us."  Her daughter started to worry with her words again. Her mother reassured her one more time that it is not her concern and that she's got it, stop worrying about something that is for me to handle not you. You have one job and its to unlock the car and hop in. I've got everything else.

As I was standing there, I began to think of my relationship with God. How I worry or concern myself with things that He has not given me that responsibility.  It is not my burden to carry.  How many times have I made things my burden, when He has told me over and over again, not my concern. The Lord tells me, "You have one job Coleen, this is all I need from you. I can handle the rest.  Trust me!  Trust me that I am strong enough, trust me that I am smart enough, trust me that I am worthy enough to handle things in your life.  Put your faith, all of it, in me and you will not ever regret it.  You will not ever have to worry about anything because I've got this!"  How many burdens do you pick up that aren't yours to carry?  How many hours are spent wasted on worry, when you aren't called to worry?  We are called to pray, period.  That's all we are to do.

Philippians 4:4-7 MSG "Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you’re on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment